I was out photographing flowers in my yard :::big yawn:::, when Joel summoned me to "come see the hawk". He and a couple other boys noticed a hawk up in the trees right off our cul-de-sac.
So...armed with the big lens, I spent the next hour hawk watching. It was interesting. He let me get pretty close and never spooked. I kept hoping for some action, but got very little. I even tried to prompt some by tossing sticks out into the woods. He lasted longer than I did... after an hour handholding a 400mm lens, my arms were dead and the light was waning. I have a ridiculous number of frames....but here are a few that really capture the experience.
At one point, he did drop to the ground. While this photo is not tack sharp, I like the surreal look that the action creates.
He was on the ground at this point. I was able to get a completely different angle with him below eye level.
A momentary loss of dignity....






9 comments:
WOW!
Excellent capture, Kat!
Love how you got the close up on the eyes~
Ü
Love it~
Marie
these are awesome!!! i've tried getting close enough for a shot of a hawk in the past, but they never sit still for me. these are wonderful!
gina
Oh, Kat! These are WONDERFUL! You managed to capture some great moments with that lens of yours... My arms are tired just imagining!
But my eyes and my heart ~ not unlike yours must have been, as you observed and admired this beautiful creature ~ are wide awake. Thank you!
Chelle
These are excellent Kat! How neat!! I just cracked up when I got to the last one, that one is just too funny and you pegged it perfectly with "loss of dignity!"
Martha :-)
Brilliant! You are lucky to have had this opportunity...but more lucky/skilled to have taken advantage of it as you did. Excellent job!
(love the commentary too...)
xo,
Nance
Wow Kat - wish I had birds like that in my garden! Laine x
These are great, and I really like the slightly blurred one. It really shows a sense of action.
Greg
I think a hawk is so beautiful when it is flying. I love the patterns of its feathers.
Oh I wish I had a photo opportunity like that. Though I must admit, my arms are feeling sore just thinking of holding that camera/lens waiting patiently for some action. My favorite - how you captured the soul of the bird through his eyes. Nicely done!
Monica
Post a Comment