Sunday, March 30, 2008

Does it work?

I was out taking photos of the tulips in my yard yesterday.  This one really stood out to me, but I'm not sure it works.  I'll tell you what I like, and what my problem is.  Please, share your thoughts.

I really like the bloom in the foreground. I like the water drops, I like the crispness of the subject. And I REALLY like that gently bending leaf.  It looks to me that the tulip is gently touching it's face.  But what bothers me is the tulip in the background.  It needs to be gone...I find it distracting.  Even if it were blurred out with a more shallow depth of field, I think the existance of the color would still be a distraction.  I know, I probably could have moved it (if I'd thought about it at the time).  But, I didn't, so I didn't.  I didn't follow my own rule...decide what REALLY belongs in the frame before you release the shutter.   Anyway, I'm pleased with the top 2/3's of the image.  What do you think?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its beautiful. It gives it alittle more depth.

Gretchen

Anonymous said...

 I love it even with the other tulip, looks more natural.

               Julie

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other ladies....it looks beautiful and makes me think SPRING!! Nice capture!!!!

Anonymous said...

I understand.  Part of me agrees with you.   But I also see that it makes the tulip that is in focus really pop.    I think if it was centered differently, it might work better but then you might lose the main tulip.    
Overall, it works!
Love,
Nance

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty either way Kat, but I do agree with you. The first thing I thought was not that it should be out of the photo altogether but further over to the left with some space in between. It reminds me of one of those annoying people at a party that always has to jump in on every shot, LOL! Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

I love this entry....critiquing ones own photo!!!  Ü
I agree with you, the only thing that might be wrong is the added tulip in the background.  In some cases it would work if you had 2 or 3 in the background partically blurred, but not interfering with the foreground subject.  I guess I would have to show you what I mean....when I find it...Ü  
I dot want to add that the contrast in the background really makes the subject stand out.
LOVE IT~
; )
Marie

Anonymous said...

As someone that doesn't have your artistic eye or photography talent, every photo you post on your journal is always a treat to me. Every time I read your entries, I always think, "Goody! Pictures too!" LOL

Tulips are one of my favorite flowers and the color and raindrops you captured on this one is outstanding. I don't even mind the other one in the background. It is still a great shot.

I hope Aaron is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I agree that the back tulip is distracting, but it's still a great picture of the subject.

Joann

Anonymous said...

I think its beautiful as is , but I also agree with you

Anonymous said...

iF IT WEREN'T THERE YOU WOULDN'T SEE THE SHADOW WHICH I FEEL ADDS MORE DEPTH AND FEEL TO IT.OTHERWISE IT MAY LOOK MORE LIKE A PAINTING.
JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.
CONNIE

Anonymous said...

being the professional that you are I understand what you're saying... but I love the photo.  I love the shadow....   being that I work in Paint Shop Pro I've 'tubed' out unwanted portions of an imagine if I feel it's not what I want...  providing I can.   I don't always take the time to see what's in the frame.. I take pictures of what I like.. for me ... but then I'm not a pro.  LOL  :)
d

Anonymous said...

I love this photo! you are much too hard on yourself.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

while it may be more effective without the 2nd tulip in the background, it's still beautifully done.
gina

Anonymous said...

I agree with your take on this picture.  The tulip in the background is distracting and takes too much of the emphasis off of your lead bloom.  It could have been moved and paperclipped, or tied down while you took the shot.  The rest of the picture and the colors works very well.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Well, since you asked for opinions - I'll give my two cents for whatever it's worth to you.  I think without the other tulip it would be very stark and I just don't think it would've worked as well.  Reason being nature - tulips aren't stark. What would be perfect is to have the first tulip and leaf crisp and the second tulip blurred.  This keeps the natural look of the tulips and keeps from being so stark and empty in feeling.

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/monicasmemoirs/midnight-conversations/