Thursday, March 27, 2008

Every Picture Tells a Story...

There are SO many photo challenges to play.  How I wish I had the time to do them all.  Perhaps, one day, the weather will get nice and my "to do" list will have dwindled to just an item or two...and then, WATCH OUT!

:)

In the meantime, Monica has started something interesting that involves both photos and a bit of personal sharing.  I like this concept.  I know sometimes, I tend to rely on the photos and skip the actual "blogging" part.

In this challenge, the emphasis is not so much on the art of photography as using a photograph to illustrate something you'd like to share about who you are.  Very creative twist Monica.  I really hope I can stay with you on this.

This weeks prompt...

I collect ________________ (dust bunnies, spoons, dogs, rings, etc).  Share a photo of what you collect and tell us how or when you got started with the collection.  Is there something you are looking to add to the collection? 

I collect dolls!


Sample selection of Kat's doll collection.

Not just any dolls, and the story will illustrate why.

My mother's mother collected dolls from around the world.  Whenever she or a friend would travel abroad, a new foreign doll was added to the collection.  Very few were kept on year round display.  Instead, she used them as her Christmas ornaments.  Every year, we would go out to her house to help her unpack the dolls and decorate the tree.  It was decorated exclusively in dolls and crystal icicles.  Of course we all had our favorites and tickled us pink as we delicately removed from their protective wrapping and found "just the right spot" on the tree. It was something we always looked forward to, and once the tree was done we would sit and watch it rotate and continue to admire new additions to the collection and old favorites.

I grew up in a very small town and my grandmother was one of the "grande dames" of the community.  All her friends stopped by during the holidays to enjoy her tree and her hospitality.  There was often a little write up and photo in the newspaper showing a local girl scout troop or women's group visiting to see her tree and the dolls in native costume.

The Christmas after she passed away, the dolls were put on display at the local library.  When they were returned to us, they were divided evenly between my sisters and myself.  We put out all the dolls and took turns choosing.  There was a little negotiation over one or two, but we were all very happy with the subset that we inherited and we had a wonderful time sharing memories as we made our selections.

I don't have a Christmas tree.  If I did I would have certainly continued this tradition.  Unfortunately, most of these dolls have been stored for most of the time I have owned them.  I always have a half dozen or so placed around my house, but I have never gotten the appropriate piece of furniture to display them all together.  But, I do get them out about once a year and enjoy them with my girls.

The collection is not limited to the pieces I inherited.  I have added to it when I have traveled and Aaron has brought a couple home from places he has visited.  More often, I come across an old interesting doll at an antique store or flea market.  If it is in good condition and reasonably priced, I'll usually snatch it up.  I have acquired some of my current favorites this way.

Now, I am keeping my eye out for art dolls in addition to antique foreign dolls.  I usually just admire them as they are often very expensive.  Once I can properly display the collection, I will probably branch out and pursue art dolls. One of these days....

Please visit the other participants of Monica's challenge via her entry here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your special treasure with us....what a lovely collection!
Marie

Anonymous said...

I love the story behind this...very emotional.   Also, my sister used to collect dolls similar to these as my mom would bring her back one from her foreign travels.
Maybe you could display them together somewhere all year round.  
Great photo of the gang too!
Love,
Nance
(Ps.  Feeling a little better today)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story and collection....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

  I love your dolls, my MIL had a couple of those dolls.  Of course as a antique and collectible dealer I find them even more interesting.  Lots of history there in them and the story was wonderful.  I can see the tree.

                          Julie

Anonymous said...

I love the story and the traditions about the dolls. I tend to collect Old World Christmas ornaments. I even had a collection I started for my daughter , so when she moved out last year she had enough for her own tree. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I love this entry Kat, tells us all more about who you really are. I'll be keeping my eyes open for dolls. I have some really olds ones packed away somewhere that I just might have to send to you one of these days. We might be in our eighties by the time I get to those boxes -- something for you to look forward to, LOL!
Hugs, Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

What a fun collection to have and the memories behind the dolls is wonderful.  I hope that someday soon you have the right piece of furnature so you can have them displayed all the time. I wish I could see them in person.  Beautiful!  Thank you for sharing your collection with us and of course the story behind the collection. :-)

Monica

Anonymous said...

this was such an awesome story behind your collection!! I never heard/thought about decorating a Christmas tree so uniquely like this! I bet it was gorgeous!!!

thanks for sharing :)

betty

Anonymous said...

a wonderful story and collection!!
gina

Anonymous said...

What a great collection and a great story behind it!!  I think you should get a display case and dispaly them all year long.... but don't invite me to your home, I'm afraid of dolls!!  LOL!!

Joann