I just returned from a trip to visit my sister in Jacksonville Florida. It was a wonderful few days of sunny days and sightseeing. I have tons of photos I'd like to share, but I'll try to keep it to a manageable number. I'll break them up into groups by days to give me time to review, edit and organize them.
I arrived on Thursday and Friday we took a trip to Cumberland Island in southern Georgia. We drove from Jacksonville to St. Mary's, Georgia then took a 45 minute ferry ride to the island. The island is accessible only by ferry and the only cars allowed on the island are park service vehicles and the personal cars of the few permanent residents.
The island was home to the estate of Thomas Carnegie and the ruins are still there today. But more engaging than the ruins is the variety of environments we saw in the small area we wandered. We walked a very small portion of the island....as much as time would allow. Upon return, I might rent a bicycle in order to see more of what the island has to offer.
In just a couple of short miles we walked through marine forest draped with spanish moss, marshland, arid dunes and finally arrived at the expansive and pristine beach on the Atlantic Ocean. What a sight....beach as far as we could see and no other people anywhere. We had lunch on the beach and walked for about 90 minutes before we saw another soul. It was incredible.
We did see wildlife though. The island is inhabited by feral horses...descendents of those brought by the Carnegie's. There were shorebirds to photograph (one of my favorites) and to my surprise....armadillo!
Enough background....here are the pics!
The path through the maritime forest....this is the start of the walk from the ferry landing to the beach.
Our walk took us through marshes, dunes, and finally....to the beach.
From the Carnegie ruins....
More shorebirds...
We saw the wild horses on the dunes near the beach. Later, as we started back, we heard the horses barreling toward us. Seems the males were after a mare. They ran past me on the dunes with about a foot to spare, which was a little startling. But, the photo op was really special.
They headed straight toward a stream that was feeding the marsh, and one plopped down to cool off.
Can't forget the armadillo....














15 comments:
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES, tHANKS FOR SHARING
SANDRA
Oooh, these are wonderful. I especially like the third one of the bare branch agaist the blue sky. I know somebody that will love the horse pictures. I'm gonna send her an email invite to this entry.
Greg
Once again ALL are beautiful! Thanks for sharing
Monica
OMG...you freakin' amaze me, Kat. You are one of my most fave fotographers!
Love,
Nance
I so enjoyed the photos..
thank you.
Oh my goodness what a great bunch of pictures. I have always wanted to see the wild horses...your photos are beautiful!!!
Betty
Oh, I love Cumberland Island -- we took our kids there for a couple of day trips when they were little. And your photos are phenomenal.
it looks so beautiful there, and i'm thrilled you had a walk with your sister!
i LOVE the bird photos, the one with the foamy water & the bird's reflection catches my eye...and the one after that, too; so clear & crisp! fantastic!
i don't know how i'd feel about a herd of galloping horses passing me by within a foot, lol! that must have been something!
xo love
OMG! You were in heaven.....you were definitely in your glory with all the wild life....I am jealous!!! Wonderful images, Kat! I would have died if I saw those horse coming towards me...(i am a big chicken) BUT It must have been an amazing sight to see. Very cool shots.......
I would love to go there....those trees are just lovely.....
Thanks for sharing your trip....Ü
Marie
PS: We need to coordinate better. It would have been fun to get together (we're in St Augustine at the moment)!
http://searchthesea.blogspot.com/
Wow! Gorgeous photography, Kat! Thanks for posting these for us to enjoy. What a great experience and it looks like you made the most of it.
Sam
Oh Kat these are beautiful! I can't decided which is my favorite. I definitely love the shot of the driftwood, the ruins too... I think the wild horses are my favorite though. I'd love to see something like that and you sure captured terrific images of them too! I'd love to see more! Hugs, Martha :-)
AMAZZing pictures. My favourite are the horses. Cumberland Island is a HUGE field trip at my son's junior high. The kids really look forward to getting to seventh grade, so they can go. Really beautiful place. The program is engaging and iteresting. ;) C.
Great pics! That is only about an hour from me. Matthew went there one year on a school field trip and loved it.
Hugs,
Gretchen
Awesome photos Kat. I live here in J'ville about 30 minutes from the beach.
Tami
Post a Comment