Sunday, March 16, 2008

Nissequogue River State Park

I went on one interesting photo outing this week.  I started out with certain expectations, but BOY was I in for a surprise.

I've picked up two or three books to reference on natural areas to visit on Long Island.  I know that right now, everything is still pretty drab but I needed to get out and thought I'd scout some of the places nearby.  So, I selected Nissequogue River State Park.

Part of the property was exactly as described.  It borders the west side of the Nissequogue River to where it empties into the Long Island Sound. I will look forward to visiting again as I know that this will be a great birding site. 

 

There are also paths through woodlands and I even found my first wildflowers of the seasong...SNOWDROPS!  I love there little beauties and I'm delighted to have found some.

 

But, here is where the surprise comes in.  This property was just recently set aside as state park land.  Part of the property is the site of the now abandoned Kings Park Psychiatric Center.  It was once a huge facility with many large buildings spread over several hunderd acres.  It opened in the late 1800's and housed veterans of the Spanish American War and World War I.  It grew to become a depository for the mentally ill from throughout New York, and at one time had close to 10,000 patients.  The hospital was closed in the 1990's and has been left to decay.  Attempts have been made to keep couriosity seekers and vandals out.  Most lower level windows are boarded up and signs warn of  unsafe conditions including exposure to toxic materials.

This is a place where the imagination goes wild.  I walked around some of the buildings wanting to capture some essence of the place. I can't tell you how much I would LOVE to go in and explore.  But, I'm not that much of a risk taker.  Here are a couple of images I took from outside.

Every window, barred and double locked from the outside.  Where does that take your head?

This photo was taken through a window that I found that was not boarded up.  Anyone else tempted to get in and snoop around?

Well, there have been some who have done just that.  When I got home, I immediately got online and did a search for information.  What I found were some extensive photo essays on the property done by some brave souls who did trespass for art's sake.  If you're curious,  this on is one of the best.  From a photographer's standpoint....it's fascinating.  In a way I wish I hadn't seen it, because now I want to go in there even more.  I know, I know....but I will go exploring again.....OUTSIDE.

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my....  First of all, that first photo is beautiful, and those snowdrops are amazing!  You are so talented, Kat.  With every image you capture and share comes this incredible sense of peace.  

But I must admit, I'm feeling less than peaceful about those last two photos!!

How interesting it is, that so many others have explored and documented this same historic place.  That last one REALLY has a creepy feel to it.  I can't blame you for wanting to go back....  I would too, but I'd have a hard time going alone...

::shivers::

Congrats on being in Greg's photog spotlight this month!  ;o)

Hugs,
Chelle

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I'd love to be able to go in and explore!  I'll have to check that link out.  Love the snow drops - they are such a hopeful sign of spring!  ~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

I love the bottom one!!!  They are all wonderful, as usual, but the bottom one is very cool!  The lighting is warm & makes the whole image interesting....I just can't find the right words.....but I know it's excellent!  Ü
Marie

Anonymous said...

That bottom picture is very intriguing.  I'd love to go explore around there.  Some of those older building can be very interesting - in what purpose they served, the architect/design.  

Monica

Anonymous said...

i found you through greg's photographer spotlight, though you completely wowed me with your winning entry in the last aol community photo challenge.  i've just been scrolling through your pix and love your work!  i'm putting you on alerts.  :)
gina

Anonymous said...

 I found those pics to the building  a while back while researching old buildings and would love to go in also.  Love stuff like that.   Love your photo's.  The snow drops are great. What filter did you use?


                        Julie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful images here. I especially like the last two. I've been trespassing more than a few times over these last few months that I've been focusing on photography. Sometimes it's a real thrill! If it were me, I'd definitely go back and go in. I'm off to check out the link now. Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

The beginning pictures in this entry are quite nice, but my eyes were really excited when they started reading about aging building with the history that it has.  I have always loved learning about places just like this, and really enjoy letting my imagination go wild about the events that have taken place there.  This was a really cool entry.

Greg

Anonymous said...

ok, first - over 10,000 mental patients from New York? at the same time?!? eeeep!
i don't think i'd join you in poking around in there, i'm a chicken when it comes to that. and - second, LOVE the snowdrops!! i never see any around here. in the movie 'Stardust' a glass snowdrop is featured as part of the story,  it serves as protection for one of the main characters. ok, protection from a witch,but still! LOL! it's a very cute, entertaining movie, watch it if you have a chance. fun stuff!  

i'm so glad you're out taking pics again, you know, many months went by without them and i was having withdrawals.  :)   love, phin

Anonymous said...

We have an old place like that here in Michigan - rumors that it's haunted and everything!  I can understand the draw for you - not only to see it through your lense - but through your imagination too! I love seeing through your eyes - keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a lot of history and suspense - I bet that old building holds so many stories to be told! Really interesting Kat and yes I would be tempted to go in but I dont know if Id be brave enough - Im gonna visit that link you put on! Laine xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/elainey2465/laines-world/

Anonymous said...

I love the last picture of this entry.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/