Monday, February 18, 2008

I wish I knew what these little white flowers are.  I'm seeing them everywhere and they're so sweet.  Unfortunately, they're the only thing I'm finding blooming right now...so I've taken about 100 pictures of them.  They are interesting in their various stages though.

Someone suggested to me that they might be crocuses...but I don't believe they are.  The leaves on these are so distinct.  I love how the leaf wraps around the baby plant like a cloak.  The veins are so well defined.  They have that beautiful purple tinge in the bud stage...and as they first open.  But in the fully open blooms, the purple is gone.  I'm sure I won't be seeing these much longer.  A fleeting sign of spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comment from rrveh1
4/9/04
Nice shots...!

Comment from deabvt
4/8/04
Geez....These are Great!    Thks, Vince

Comment from msecz
4/8/04
Now that I see more pictures I don't think they are crocus any more either. the way they curl and the leaves are so much different too. They are very beautiful!

Comment from sepintx
4/7/04
Those are neat. From first bud to bloom. Great series. They look vaguely aquatic, I can't recall anything like that growing down here. Neat the way fully opened the petals fall down.

Comment from sonensmilinmon
4/7/04
As always ... beautiful!

Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

We'll have to plan a trip to Westbury Gardens in the Spring...Ü
Marie

Anonymous said...

Kat,

Based on what I can see in the photos and what you have said about their emerging I am going to say these are Bloodroot.

Check this link for a great tool to identify flowers.
http://www.realtimerendering.com/flowers/flowers.html

I had to guess at some of the characteristics. Maybe you can do better answering the questionaire being able to view the flowers personally.

Jerry